Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I am the Greatest Insult

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem
In the Name of God, The Compassionate, The Merciful

Recently, with Barack Obama in the running for democratic nomination for President, there has been a "smear" campaign against him. Smear campaigns are common, and we're used to their foul nature by now. However, this time there's something different. Something quite disturbing, something that points to a big problem.

This time, Obama is being "smeared" by a rumor that he is of a particular religion. People are "smearing" him by insinuating that he is - God forbid - a Muslim.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

Most of the efforts by Obama-supporters and Obama himself have been in the way of dispelling the notion that he is Muslim. Although Obama has mentioned that this whole ordeal is also insulting to Muslims, it is usually a small note, found at the bottom of the page next to an asterix.

What is being said is essentially:
  • There is something tremendously wrong with being Muslim
  • There is something tremendously wrong with 1.5 billion people on the Earth
  • These 1.5 billion people, by definition, are the enemies of America
  • It is impossible for Muslims to be anything other than an enemy of America
I, and I am sure many, many other Muslims, are grossly insulted by this whole ordeal. The fact that people are using my faith as way to put somebody down is disgusting and says more about those people than it does about anybody or anything else.

These are the moments when I fear the worst for the future of the world in terms of a "clash" between the United States and Islam. These are the moments in which I fight a sense of lurking despair.

But you know what? It is because my faith - Islam - teaches me that God has his plan, and that He is most Merciful, and because of that there is always hope - it because my faith teaches me that at bottom most people are good - that I do not despair, and that I continue working and trying to contribute to peace and increased understanding between two civilizations.

> Saleem




3 Comments:

Blogger Subhan Tariq said...

Very well put. You have inspired me to post something similar on my own blog viewing it as an American Muslim College Student.

-Subhan Tariq
www.subhantariq.com

3/11/2008 12:21:00 AM  
Blogger sheilaX said...

Shalom,

You make good points and I agree that there are a lot of unsaid insinuations being thrown about.

5/07/2008 03:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true...

But people keep mentioning this like it's a major problem. Obama has himself stated that his father was a Muslim, but had then become a 'confirmed' atheist.

Khair, Allah knows best.

10/25/2008 09:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home